Local history

LOCAL HISTORY

The brief history of Ajak


Ajak lies 42 kms north-east of Nyíregyháza in North-East Nyírség south of Kisvárda, It is well connected via road no. 4 and the main Budapest-Záhon railway line. It is one of the oldest settlements in the county.


Its name –lip - originates from mouth, gap, opening, there are also references to Ajak Miklós landlord. its first mentioned in charters from the 1290’s. In a 1299 charter there is already Kis Ajak and Nagy Ajak distinguished. In 1322 it vas a castle estate. King László IV, granted half of the estate to Balogh-Semjén Mihály, whilst from 1315 it belonged to the Várdai branch of the Gut-Keled family. In 1387 János bishop of Várad settled Ajak Miklós’ serfs to Nagyajak. Three branches of Várdai dynasty died out therefore the biggest estate of the county through the marriages of Vérdai Kata and Nyáry Pál whose daughter married to Eszterházy Miklós fell on the Eszterházy family. In the 16th century if was a populous place, with 22 villeins listed. In 1558 on 14 tenures of Szakolyi Miklós 55 villeins lived. The wars at the end of the century however reduced the population.

 

By 1720 there were only 14 tenures left. In 1772 on 12 tenures There were only 17 villeins, 1 cotter and 6 landless serfs. The Protestant population and the newly settled Catholics had a cause over the medieval church in 1773-1786, the papers stating that there were 142 Protestants and 308 Catholics. The village was settled in the beginning of the 19th century, forming three districts: Magyarvég, Nagyajak (Faluderék), Kisajak (Tótvég).


The oldest historical building is the Protestant church that originally was a Catholic one. It was built in the 13-14 centuries, first mentioned in 1332-35 stating that it was consecrated to St. Nicholas.    In 1681 part of the church was destroyed, and after the above mentioned cause it remained in the use of the protestants. The building was renovated in 1786.  it is a single nave medieval church with a small tower over the roof. At the corners the nave is supported by pillars, with 3 narrow windows on the south side and 2 on the back side. The first register dates back to 1788. Following the cause the Catholics decided to build their own church that from the generous donations was richly adorned and completed by 1819. Unfortunately the adorations have been lost over time. it is a single nave baroque church with a spire, its final form dates back to 1830 when a vestry was added.   The building of Greek-catholic church was built in 1858.

 

The folk art of Ajak is famous country wide, the most colourful in the county. The traditional attires were used within the local community and not for the outside world. The older generation still retains the traditions.

 

Currently there are three parishes in town, with the Roman Catholic being the most populous, followed by the Greek Catholic and the Protestant in numbers.

 
There is a kindergarten and school, library, sports court, post office, pharmacy, bank, petrol station in town.   The roads are paved, and there is piped drinking water, sewage and gas supply. Health services are provided by a doctor and a dentist, whereas a policeman and civil militia ensures security.